Friday, 3 August 2007

Venture to the land of under-dressed fat people eating chips and ice cream!!!

Current mood:  happy

Pony Bank: 1.00gbp

Well, it's now LATER than it was yesterday morning when I had to get off to bed, and I'm so tired that I'm bound to make tons of mistakes, but I promised a report of our trip to Great Yarmouth, and so here it is...

It was 5.30am when I tumbled out of bed.  The sun was already blazing down, which was a nice surprise considering the weather we've had lately.  I rushed to get washed, dressed, eat my breakfast, feed Splodge and do all my usual morning chores.  And then at 6.50am we were off. 
The coach was early - another pleasant surprise - and almost arrived at the same time as we did.  But that's just about as far as the good day went.  Because right then, Lady Bad Luck decided to come and spoil our day as usual.  (Maybe she only wakes up later on in the day, when we usually get up, and so we were left alone for those first couple of early hours?!?!?!)

Image deleted by Tinypic before I had the sense to re-upload all my photos to my Photobucket album and update all the links.  I apologise for any inconvenience caused!

The coach driver jumped on to the pavement and informed us that he had a lady on the coach who wasn't feeling very well today.  Wearily, the people waiting by the side of the vehicle began to climb aboard, and stagger to spare seats.  Mum and I found what we thought were lovely seats with no curtains to obscure our view of the outside world through the window.  But soon we were to get a nasty shock.

The space we had to sit in was tiny!  The seats in front were practically on top of us, and we had chosen to sit right next to...the lavatory, which absolutely stank of some kind of cleaning chemicals.  Our noses soon got used to the stench though,  and Mum was pleased to be sat there for some kind of "air" when she leaned into the corridor between the two rows of seats.  (She suffers slight claustrophobia).

Next we discovered we were supposed to wear seatbelts - something my mum never remembers doing when she used to go on coaches years ago.  But my seatbelt was twisted, and I couldn't fix it, so I had to endure the embarassment of a Scottish man behind us un-tangling it and handing it back between the seats to me.  Then I found that the belt was absolutely FILTHY covered in some kind of fry-up food...which made me feel rather sick, being a vegetarian and all.   But Mum would not change seats - she needed the air, anyhow I had the window!
And so the long journey to Great Yarmouth began.  (Well, after we'd spent a further hour picking people up from various other points around the area!)  Nice journey, you ask?  One word will sum it up, I think - Roadworks.  All the way there - Roadworks.  And you know what roadworks mean?  Traffic jams.  Mind you, crawling along the road at that speed does have some advantages.  I saw loads of animals/wildlife including two muntjack deer, a wallaby (Strange, yes, but that's definitely what it was!  We think it must have escaped from a zoo somewhere!), rabbits, hares, kestrels, a domestic cat, and lots of horses etc.

Apart from that though, the journey was awful.  It was a hot day, so the air conditioning was turned on full pelt, and the buzzing noise is still ringing in my ears.  All in all, the journey took almost FOUR HOURS, and that didn't include the stop at a Welcome Break  (Not long enough to do anything with your time, but long enough to delay the travelling further), so we didn't arrive at our destination until almost 1pm.

Roy, our friendly driver, told us we could stay in Great Yarmouth until 5.30pm, so Mum and I immediately made our way down to the beach to look for the boat trips we had come for, which would take us to Scroby Sands to see the seals.  We found the boards, saying that the next trip was at 1.30, but at 1.25 this was all we could see...

Image deleted by Tinypic before I had the sense to re-upload all my photos to my Photobucket album and update all the links.  I apologise for any inconvenience caused!

(That's the platform we'd have to climb up to get on the boat, by the way.  My picture wasn't very clear)

Then finally, having wasted over half an hour of our time, two men with walkie-talkies appeared, and we saw this little object on the horizon.

Image deleted by Tinypic before I had the sense to re-upload all my photos to my Photobucket album and update all the links.  I apologise for any inconvenience caused!

It was the boat!  But it was having a hard time getting back with the last lot of people...
Six other people showed up, but four of them took one look  at the choppy sea and left.  The other two didn't seem too keen either.  (They were all on holiday in Great Yarmouth, so could return the next day)  We stood our ground, but were soon told the conditions were "too dangerous".  Although I have my suspicions that if more people (and so their fares for the trip) had been involved, the tour may still have taken place.

Dejectedly, Mum and I walked back up the beach.  We went in the theme park, "Joyland", but neither of us could go on any of the attractions, since we don't have a child smaller than a certain cartoon kid shown on a certain board (who's about the size of a pinhead, it would appear).  I'm not quite clear why an adult-sized person is not allowed on unless they have an extra kid-sized person with them.  It can't be due to their weight or size, due to them being allowed on under those circumstances.

I was pleased to see some old coin operated children's rides there though.  For those of you who don't already know, I collect photographs of the rides, and am in the process of making a website for all of the old photos.  Most of the pictures show me as a silly little kid holding a stuffed toy out at arm's length though, so I'm desperately trying to gather pictures of those that haven't yet been scrapped...which is, sadly, very few of them.

I was particularly pleased to see my old "friends", Sarah the Seahorse and Willy the Worm.

Image deleted by Tinypic before I had the sense to re-upload all my photos to my Photobucket album and update all the links.  I apologise for any inconvenience caused!


Image deleted by Tinypic before I had the sense to re-upload all my photos to my Photobucket album and update all the links.  I apologise for any inconvenience caused!

Also, a little ambulance ride on the pier which I rode every single night that we were there when we went on a week away to Great Yarmouth when I was eight.  I was sad to see that one feature that really endeared me to "him" though, the pane of blue-tinted 'glass' (I think it was actually plastic) for "his" windscreen, has been smashed out.
Image deleted by Tinypic before I had the sense to re-upload all my photos to my Photobucket album and update all the links.  I apologise for any inconvenience caused!

I'm still pleased to know he's there though.  Next, Mum and I walked along a parade of novelty seaside gift shops etc.  Mum had told me to look out for a MLP bucket and spade, since she was certain there would be one, but I didn't see one on the entire way up the road.  I was hot and tired by that point though, what with carrying a huge bag full of drinks and apple turnovers that my mum and I didn't even really want to consume due to our funny stomachs. 

We walked by a clothes shop, and I saw just the sort of t-shirts I wear - priced at twenty quid each!  That's expensive, but Dad had given us thirty pounds to spend, so we thought we'd go in and see if there was a specific one I liked. 

Walking into the small dark shop, a woman behind the counter asked, "May I be of assistance?".  "Yes," I replied.  "Do you have any of these t-shirts in a small adult size?"

She shook her head. "Sorry, we only start at medium."

Great, I thought.  Exactly what I wanted to be told.  But I thanked her and continued up the road.

We went in two seperate charity shops, but there were no ponies to be found.  There were loads of lovely shops, and plenty of stuff we'd have liked at discount prices, but there was no way we could carry any of it, so we made our way back up the street.

On the way back, something caught my eye...

Image deleted by Tinypic before I had the sense to re-upload all my photos to my Photobucket album and update all the links.  I apologise for any inconvenience caused!

A MLP bucket and spade!  I swear my Mum is psychic sometimes!  It features Rarity, Royal Bouquet and Sunny Daze and was made by a company in Spain.

We began to make our way along the promenade, photographing rides as we went.  Although kids kept jumping into them, just as I got ready to snap the pictures, so I didn't get half so many as I'd have liked.

About halfway along, Mum said she fancied some chips.  So I got her to go and save us a place on a bench, and went up to a little chip stand on a corner of the road.  I bought two cones of chips at 90p each, and took them back to Mum.  No easy task when you're carrying loose change, a bag of other random junk, trying to add salt up at a small counter, covered in ketchup!

And then, as soon as we started to eat them, we discovered that they were rock hard and cold!  Oh, what a marvellous day!  We sat, eating our cold chips, and watched the horse drawn carriages going up and down the promenade.  I couldn't help but feel sorry for one horse in particular.  His head was hung low, and he had no shelter from the sun or access to water whatsoever.  But they kept pushing him to trot up and down, up and down.  Poor, poor creature.  His eyes are going to haunt me for the rest of my life, I think.

A very rare sighting of Mum's hand, as she interrupts one of my ride photos to take a look through her purse

Image deleted by Tinypic before I had the sense to re-upload all my photos to my Photobucket album and update all the links.  I apologise for any inconvenience caused!

Having walked up and down the entire promenade, we found that there were no plush MLP's in the claw-grabbing machines as I had hoped, and all of the 2p shover machines now take 10p coins!!!  We only found three 2p shover machines in the entire place (on the pier), and then realised we had no change, and all of the change machines were empty.

We sat down on a bench, and watched a mother with seven children *not* looking after her kids.  Each one of them had one of those cheap fake character velvet art boards, and one of the girls tried to sit down next to us on the bench, only to find herself sitting on a handrest, so she jumped up and swatted an old man around the face with her board.  Mum and I went into fits of giggles for no real reason.  Mum wanted an ice cream, but again she didn't dare have one with her funny stomach, so I didn't like to have one either.  Then she made the random comment, which made me laugh so much that I decided to name this blog after it.  "Seasides are places that attract fat people in various states of undress, eating chips and ice cream."  "Ahh...the great British day out." I chimed in, as a golden retriever walked by, carrying his own pooper-scooper in a little red bag tied around his body and to his lead on a kind of harness.

All too soon, after just one more walk across the beach (where we both got sand in our socks and made our feet sore), it was time to get back on the coach.  Roy didn't stop at all on the way home, so people kept having to use the smelly chemical loo by our seats.  The door of the loo didn't shut properly, and each time we went over a bump, it flew open, and we saw a hand shoot out and try to close it again.

I only took one more snap of our brilliant day - the coach pulling away last night.  But something happened with the lights on the coach and the darkness surrounding it...leading to this blurry, yet somewhat atmospheric, mess, which kind of sums up our day.

Image deleted by Tinypic before I had the sense to re-upload all my photos to my Photobucket album and update all the links.  I apologise for any inconvenience caused!

Ahhh...happy summer memories!

As for today, does anybody want to see the newest member of the herd?

Image deleted by Tinypic before I had the sense to re-upload all my photos to my Photobucket album and update all the links.  I apologise for any inconvenience caused!

Image deleted by Tinypic before I had the sense to re-upload all my photos to my Photobucket album and update all the links.  I apologise for any inconvenience caused!

Yes, it's SOFT SLEEPY NEWBORN PINK DREAMS!!!  I have wanted a Soft Sleepy Newborn for so long.  I can't believe I actually own one now!!!  Thank you Snowcastle, of the MLPArena, for selling her to me.  She set me back  quite a bit compared to what I usually pay for a single pony, but I've wanted one of these for so long that I don't really care that I'm broke!

Which reminds me, I was doing well with my no snacks rule.  I had thought about eating the last apple pie in the packet earlier, but I managed to resist the urge, only for Mum to bring it in about an hour later and offer it to me.  ("Well, it's dustman night tonight - I need to get rid of the packet!")  Of course, since there was nowhere to put it until teatime, I put it in my mouth.  And I had two slices of bread tonight, when I should have only had one.  I did do plenty of exercise though, so I'm counting that as another 50p up, 50p down, same as yesterday's total day, and sticking with 1.00gbp.
I hope I can get back on track tomorrow.  Now I'm really off to bed.  I'm making more and more mistakes, and it's almost 2am.  I need some sleep, and I still have all the photos to upload!

Best wishes,
A-Very-Sleepy-Desiree  xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment