Saturday, 22 August 2009

Slow, slow, slow... Dial-up blogging, here we come!

Current mood:disappointed

On a day that I should have moved to Woodberry, I'm here in Grottsville, back to writing blogs via a dial-up connection.  Why?  Read on for the full story!

August 19th 2009
Despite David's threatening comments, we started work clearing up in the other front bedroom here which David has totally filled with his junk over the years.  I could describe the pit, but you'd all just think I was exaggerating, so here is photographic evidence of the crazy world in which I exist...

Image deleted by Tinypic before I had the sense to re-upload all my photos to my Photobucket album and update all the links.  I apologise for any inconvenience caused!

He was overseeing the builders at Woodberry as usual, so we rang him up and told him we were starting the job, so there wasn't really a whole lot he could do about it.  We can't throw out a lot of his stuff without him noticing, so we decided to drag it all out and stack it neatly in the ex-communal bedroom which we had cleared so that he had no excuse for not sorting through it all.  By this point, we had figured out that our stuff was buried UNDER all that heavy paper!

Mum snapped at David on the phone about the money he's wasted over the years on newspapers and magazines, a lot of which he's never even read, as proved by their sealed cellophane packaging.  He's always claimed we can't have this and we can't have that because we're "broke" while he continues to add to all this rubbish on a daily basis.

All David could say was, "If you find anything you want, you can have it!"  Oh yeah, well, he's safe saying that, isn't he?  Why exactly would we want a load of men's magazines and neatly folded copies of page 3 from the Sun newspaper dating from the 90s?

After digging for some time, we found Mum's print of "The Laughing Cavalier" which she saved from her grandmother's flat.  The frame has been crushed by the weight of all David's rubbish.

Then we found yet more mouse evidence.  Loads of shredded newspaper and carrier bags, along with droppings.  God knows how long it's been there, but it doesn't look like it dates from the last mouse we knew about five years ago...  Another good reason not to store rubbish in your front bedroom for years.

We also found some old photos of David when he was younger, including a few with his parents...those were all protected, of course, unlike our possessions.  It was the first time I've actually knowingly seen a photo of my grandfather...and it was so many years ago that I saw my grandmother it was quite interesting to see her again.  I can't really see that I look anything like them - I think I look more like Mum's family, but perhaps that's just wishful thinking - but David's dad has exactly the same crooked teeth as I have, so perhaps he's the one who cursed me.   David looks exactly as he does now, even as a little tiny kid, just without glasses and with more hair, so that makes for quite an interesting photo!

When David came back from Woodberry, we asked what he proposed to do with all this mouse-sheltering picture-crushing rubbish.  "I'll throw some away,"  he said quite proudly, "but the rest will be staying."  He says he'll keep it at the storage depot...so where does he think he's getting the money for that?!

On closer inspection, I discovered my Hasbro plushie Firefly also has holes.  They're mainly in her back left leg which I can cover up with her tail, but I'm still depressed.  I need to get my ponies out of here, but I don't even know which to move first, with Paradise Estate in danger of being smashed if I roll over in the night, my plushies being eaten by insects and my G2s going sticky in the heat of the back room...

In the evening, we went to Tesco.  They had new Newborn Cuties and Ponyville sets on a BOGOF offer, but I decided to leave them since we had a voucher for £2 off when you spent over £10 on toys at Tesco, and I hadn't brought it with me.

I did find some Dolly Mix Ponies in the reduced bin though - two reduced to £1 and three to £1.29, which is kind of odd in itself.  I got 2 Cheerilees, 1 Pinkie Pie, 1 Rainbow Dash...and strangest of all, a Sweetie-Belle with two-tone pink hair (rather than pink and purple)!  I'll try to get a photo of them together, as she really is quite a curiosity.  I'll be putting one Cheerilee and RD up for sale; the rest are all upgrades, although I'm considering selling my old loose Dolly Mix ponies (Pinkie Pie, Toola Roola, Rainbow Dash, Sweetie-Belle and Cheerilee) in the future too.  Watch this space!

August 20th 2009

Spent another morning digging in David's newspaper pit, and uncovered - wait for this! - one leg of Mum's rocking chair.  Well, actually it was her mum's chair, which her dad bought soon after they got married.  Anyways, even after all that hard work, this was all that could be seen of the precious chair.

Image deleted by Tinypic before I had the sense to re-upload all my photos to my Photobucket album and update all the links.  I apologise for any inconvenience caused!

How can David be so inconsiderate as to dump all his junk on top of other people's stuff?!

That being said, I decided it was high time that I rescued my remaining pony plushies from the other side of the ex-communal bed (which David has also filled with newspapers, blocking my path to my ponies), especially as the bed was getting further blocked in by junk from the room next door.

Poor little things stuck on the other side of the room...

Image deleted by Tinypic before I had the sense to re-upload all my photos to my Photobucket album and update all the links.  I apologise for any inconvenience caused!

It was a long job, and Mum was annoyed that I was stopping her getting to her rocking chair in the meantime, but I had to do it before any more damage was done and this was my last chance before the communal bed was totally blocked in.

The rescue mission required a long stick which my mum's grandmother used to use for grabbing things from her wheelchair after she lost her leg...

Image deleted by Tinypic before I had the sense to re-upload all my photos to my Photobucket album and update all the links.  I apologise for any inconvenience caused!

I don't think the ponies minded though!  They just saw it as an adventure!

Strangely, these ponies haven't really been too badly affected by the insects.  Parasol and Windy both seem to have some thin plush in places, but nothing really noticeable like the ones I packed away in that crate to be "safe".

Then came the worst horror - I saw four legs poking out from beneath the radiator down on the FLOOR.  Obviously one of the poor things had fallen down next to the spare foam (insect-filled) cot matress by the bed!  It took a lot of courage to pull her out, and once I did, I discovered that poor Pinkie Pie had grown a beard!

Image deleted by Tinypic before I had the sense to re-upload all my photos to my Photobucket album and update all the links.  I apologise for any inconvenience caused!

Fortunately, it seems as though the insects were too busy munching the matress to use Pinkie as a tasty treat, although she was covered in carpet beetle skins.  The foam has since brushed off, so she looks almost as good as new, thank goodness.

Mum and I continued to work on the bedroom of newspapers, and the next thing we came across was a huge snowman plush toy that someone gave my grandad "to give to his grandkids" at his residential home.  Grandad gave him to me and I have been looking for him every Christmas since then, but David lost him in the newspaper pit, I guess.  No problem - I've found him now, at least.  BUT he was covered in some kind of brown goo.  I dread to think what it was...horrid as it sounds, I can only describe it as looking like someone couldn't make it to the bathroom in time.  We've managed to clean most of it off, but he still has a yellow tinge in places.

David came in early, announcing that the builders had left - a day earlier than agreed.  Not to worry though, he gave them £200 less than the original total (nowhere near the correct percentage ).  They're supposedly returning in ten days to finish the job, so David has allowed them to keep the front door key.  Nice of him, considering I was supposed to be moving in today.  I really want a load of strange men being able to walk in whenever they feel like it, don't I?!

David began clearing up along with Mum, blocking me from the small space we had cleared.  And my goodness, he wants to keep everything.  We'll never get the place cleared now that he's here all the time.

"Where do you think you're going to put all this stuff?" I asked him.  "We'll put the stuff in your room as soon as you leave."  He sneered back.  Nice, after I've waited 18 years for this bedroom.  And even if it were supposed to be a joke, it was a rather mean one when he knows how desperate I am to fledge the nest, but I have no education and no intention of finding a bloke to marry (at least not here in England), hence no way of leaving and getting out of his way.

He also announced that his computer had a virus, so I had no way of getting online, despite trying to organise a couple of sales two days previously.

In the evening, we went to Woodberry and tried assembling my bed.  We spent about an hour trying to put together one drawer - the glue is totally useless.  We spent another hour getting the bed to this stage:
 
 
Okay, so it still doesn't really look like a bed, but I'm quite proud considering it was me who finally figured out the instructions (Argos gave no written instructions whatsoever - just very confusing charts!)

Mum was wandering around, bored, the whole time we were working on the bed, and happened to sit down on the floor and look inside the bathroom cupboard for some reason.

Now, none of us had ever sat down on the floor and taken a good look inside the cupboard before, but I had noticed there wasn't much space in there.  What I didn't realise was that the cupboard has a designated area for the pipes hidden away behind a white sheet of wood.  But Sickton's stupid plumber has CUT A HOLE in the cupboard IN FRONT of the secret area and plumbed them in there, taking up all our cupboard space and leaving us with the ugly pipes we needn't have to look at every day of our lives.
 
 
Mum also wanted the woodwork in her bedroom re-painted grey for some reason (it was white with a hint of pink before), and now it looks awful, just as I said it would.  So now she wants it changed back again!  Mind you, the builders have painted it terribly with grey paint smudged all up the wall.  Why do these builders insist on decorating, too, when they quite obviously can't do the job?  Good builders should be builders and good painters/wallpaperers should be decorators.  I'm sorry, but they shouldn't get greedy and try to steal each other's work all the time.  It's just stupid and makes the place look such a mess!

Anyways, so much for telling you all "the whole story".  Mum is asleep on the floor now, snoring loudly, so I need to get to floor-bed myself.  I'll continue with the tale tomorrow, so hopefully I'll see you all back here then.

Best wishes,
Desirée Skylark  xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment