Monday, 29 March 2010

I wish I'd downloaded them now...

Current mood:  nostalgic
 
I see that Shizzz1's Youtube account has been deleted for copyright violation - I used to love listening to her videos, and was in awe of her voice.  I really wanted to download a few of those recordings as an inspiration to myself, but felt that was a bit too stalker-like.  Now I wish I had done so, as I'm unlikely to ever hear them again.  Youtube are really cracking down on us amateur fandub people, and here I am still waiting to move house so that I can start making recordings.  And that's without even taking into consideration the deterioration of my voice...  Why do I get the feeling that I'll never even get the chance to do any proper amateur voice acting now?

February 23rd 2010

I didn't leave the house all day.  I can't stand much more of these four walls and having no way of leaving them independently, but David refuses to discuss our options, and just shouts and swears at us every time we try to raise the subject of moving house.

He finally went to the launderette (having left me in the same t-shirt for over a week... he had bought new clean shirts for himself) and to collect the granite for the bathroom at Woodberry.  The Polish builders also went to Woodberry to collect some more of their rubbish.

David got some roofing men in here to look at our leaking ceiling...  It's been leaking for years, but he suddenly got a bee in his bonnet that he should get it fixed after that woman from the council complained about the leaking pipe and he had to get someone in to fix that.  But it was very stressful for me, as they went in Emma's old bedroom, and David didn't warn me so that I could move all of my pony stuff out of there.

In the few minutes after he announced that they were coming and before they actually arrived, a door to door salesman rang the doorbell.  Hurriedly, I closed the living room door so that Mum and I wouldn't have to see the roofing men, and in so doing knocked all of the magazines standing behind the door over, blocking us in here.  Mum then wanted to get out in the kitchen to get herself a hot water bottle, so I had to battle to open the door wide enough for her to get through, at which point David asked me why I was "hiding behind the door"...  Um...  I can think of plenty of more comfortable places to hide than behind the door - why the heck would he think I was hiding there?!

The four MLP badges that I won on e-Bay arrived:
 

The three club badges will be up for sale; the badge I really wanted was the Christmas one.  A few years ago, David found some MLP Christmas cards in a charity shop near where he worked, which both had badges similar to this one fixed on the front.  So I reckon this one must have come from a card available at the same time.  I love that little picture of Baby Mischief out caroling!

While messing around on Youtube, I stumbled across a whole bunch of old Thomas the Tank Engine songs...  God, that took me right back down Memory Lane!  I actually had no idea that they were released on video, I had two Thomas the Tank Engine cassette tapes with the music written into stories.  I used to listen to those cassettes over and over when I was little, and it was usually the music played at the 'guinea pig parties' every evening.  By the end of listening to it, I was quite literally in tears, remembering my piggy friends.

I was always writing new lyrics to the tunes.  This was one of my favourites - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9GS0H9_YBc - I think I wrote something to that tune about saving MLPs and giving them a new home at my Rescue Home.  Actually, I ponyfied most of these songs, mainly with the theme of finding the "three favourites" (Truly, Lancer and Lofty), as I was going to throw a huge party when I found these three particular ponies and sing all this music related to the huge search for them.  As it happened, I ended up buying Truly and Lofty online (since they were never sold in the UK) which took a lot of the fun out of it, and Lancer didn't exist as a MLP figurine anyway.  I certainly knew how to pick favourite characters from a TV show to search for at car boot sales, didn't I?! >.<

This one was definitely one of the songs I intended on singing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfaFTs72gzY  I can't remember all of the lyrics now, but I do know it was supposed to be the three ponies singing most of it (Well, I always was into voice acting, and I remember spending hours trying to make a recording with three tracks of my voice singing at the same time!)  Um, it was something along the lines of:

Me: Some kids once saw the three favourites,
Sitting at a boot sale one day,
And they said...

(Hilariously, in order to do a compressed kind of child's voice, I used to pinch my nose.  Listening back to myself as an eight or nine-year-old now though, I hear that I myself spoke with a childish compressed voice! )
"My, oh my, you look do dirty.
You won't go anywhere, anywhere, anywhere;
You're fit for the rubbish bin!
You really do look dirty!"

Truly, Lancer and Lofty: "Don't be so rude", we said to the children.
"We may not be as clean as you,
But that's 'cause,
We haven't had baths in over ten years.
We'll find a new home, a new home, a new home,
We don't need mean kids like you!
It's just you don't know that,
We might get a home at,
Desirée's Home of Rest!"


Well, okay, it went on like that, but you probably don't want to hear all of it (or even that much, to be truthful!)  I know I wrote another similar one to the tune of "Gone Fishing" - as can be heard here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s73ax81TUzk - entitled "Gone Booting" (or boot sale pony hunting).  Just for laughs, here are a few more lyrics... Feel free skip to the end of the bolded bit since you're probably thoroughly bored out of your wits by now!  I'd just like to have a record for myself, as I am likely to forget all of this if I don't write it out while it's been temporarily refreshed in my memory.

"Sometimes it's nice to take some time out,
Do what you really love to do.
Just run along and watch the stalls fly by you,
Head filled with worries,
You ought to hurry,
Before they
(the ponies) get away.
Gone booting!
Gone booting!
One sunny day and I'm on my way...
Gone booting!
Gone booting!
Gone booting!
One sunny day and I'm on my way...
Why don't you all come booting?

Is it all bric-a-brac on that stall?
Or is that something else I see?
It looks yellow and it's behind that teapot...
Move the teapot that's brown and white,
Until the yellow thing's in sight...
Now I have something to say...
 (Okay, rubbish lyrics, but in my defense I was only very young at the time!)

Found Lofty!
Found Lofty!
One sunny day I was on my way...
Found Lofty!
Found Lofty!
Found Lofty!
One sunny day I was on my way...
That's when I found my Lofty!


(Then I kind of lost the plot, and tried to cram the stories of the other two into a very short space!)

There's nothing better on rainy days,
Than going to a toy fair.
("A toy fair" was originally "Pickets Lock" - my favourite toy fair for pony hunting, but it packed up when the building was demolished to make way for a block of flats, so I changed the lyrics, having still not found any of the ponies!  Some of the other lyrics were changed too, after I lost touch with Mr and Mrs Wilcox, two very sweet toy dealers who would always sell me cheap ponies at Pickets Lock Toy Fair)
Find Wilcocks' Bag/Go through the door,
Settle down/Look all around,
Surprise, surprise!
Look who I've now found!


Found Truly!
Found Truly!

(Now we get into the real rush to cram Lancer into as few lyrics as possible!)

I've got two out of three,
We're at the NEC
(the venue where the huge Birmingham toy fair was - and is still? - held)
I'm digging down Val's big box. (Val was an overpriced dealer, who always had a HUGE box of ponies which she would label usually with entirely wrong names, put in bags in some kind of order that made no sense to anyone but herself, and screach at you the whole time you were trying to look at her stuff, "Don't get them out of their bags!" while jumping around impatiently from one leg to another!)
Blue pony,
Red tail,
Banana Surprise?
(A reference to the fact Mum always thought Lancer's symbol was a half-peeled banana!)
But she's pink and green...
There really is no answer.
Banana Surprise?
But that cannot be...
FOUND LANCER!




Aww, I miss my childhood... I find it rather hilarious that I spent so much time trying to predict how I would find these ponies though, especially considering I never actually did find any of them, and if not for the internet (and UK Ponycon) I wouldn't even have them now.

Oh, and just one more (or maybe two!)  But these aren't quite on the same topic at least.  Seaside - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zbhbd8eQYs.  Ah, now this one really did bring back sweet memories for me.  I used to drive my parents mad by playing this on my portable tape player and singing along all the way to the seaside.  And I had to time it just right so that I had it playing on this verse as we got to the seafront (Well, I always wanted to live in a musical really!):

"Just one more hill to climb and we'll be there,
Sounds of the seaside start to fill the air.

Then Colour (my toy turtle who went everywhere with me until I was about nine) shouts out so excitedly,
"Look over there, everybody!  I can see the sea!"


Such beautiful memories - I think I have a recording of Mum and me singing it on the way to the seaside somewhere, and Mum moaning "Why isn't he (David) singing?"  Because he's driving the car, Mum!  At least that was his excuse!

And finally, the one that made me sob and wish I could go back in time even if it was just for an hour...  Donald's Duck.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKORj3lTCQs This one originally held bad memories for me, as I first heard it on the way to the dentist to have my two front milk teeth pulled, and I remember associating it with fear for weeks after, but then I wrote some lyrics and it took on a whole new meaning - no longer Donald's Duck, but Desirée's Guinea Pig!

I bought a squeaker from the pet shop,
She was very, very tame,
But she squeaked all night and through the day,
She was driving me insane.
Every time she squeaked,
We tried saying "No!"
To stop the squeaker squeaking,
But she did not want to know!

The Squeaker clearly loves me.
She loves me very much.
So now we have befriended her,
She lives inside her hutch.
She squeaks at ponies big and small,
She squeaks at people too!
Now everyone calls her Dieselbelle,
But I call her my Squeakeroo!

She makes me so happy,
With her little ways...
So happy...
It's true.
Now everyone calls her Dieselbelle,
But I call her my Squeakeroo.

Squeaking here, squeaking there,
She's squeaking everywhere.
Squeak, squeak, shoo, shoo, shoo!
She's my little Squeakeroo.
She's squeaking here and there,
She's squeaking everywhere.
Squeak, squeak, shoo, shoo, shoo!
She's my Squeakeroo.

Now everybody loves her;
They love to hear her squeak.
When saying goodbye they always ask,
"Will she be back next week?"
She's captured everybody's hearts,
She knows just what to do.
Now everyone calls her Dieselbelle,
But she's my Squeakeroo!

She makes me so happy,
With her little ways...
So happy...
It's true.
Now everyone calls her Dieselbelle,
But I call her my Squeakeroo.

Squeaking here, squeaking there,
She's squeaking everywhere.
Squeak, squeak, shoo, shoo, shoo!
She's my little Squeakeroo.
She's squeaking here and there,
She's squeaking everywhere.
Squeak, squeak, shoo, shoo, shoo!
She's my Squeakeroo.

She's my Squeakeroo...

She's my Squeakeroo...


I don't have a picture of Dieselbelle on my computer, so for now just imagine a gorgeous, if, um, *slightly* plump (!), strawberry roan abyssinian guinea pig.  We believe she was probably bred by a top class breeder but didn't quite make the grade for showing, because her rosettes were slightly out of place.  In reality, she was quite a ferocious little thing and often lashed out and bit us if we touched her in just the wrong place, but she loved us really, and I'd do anything to have her back now.  I can't believe she's been gone for over seven years...

Um, I think I've bored you quite enough with my childhood memories tonight!  But I feel a lot more cheerful for having talked about the past and reminisced about those happy days gone by!  Unfortunately, it meant I didn't get very far with my present day blogging, so I guess I'll just have to write more the next couple of days to make up for it.  I promise I won't write another long blog of randomness like this one... well, at least for a while!

Best wishes,
Desirée  xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment