Friday, 24 February 2012

Sorry, everybody....

Well, I know you were all on the edge of your seats waiting for the next installment yesterday, weren't you?  But it was only once I started writing that I realised I had some videos for this entry and it got too late to upload them all!  So I figured it was better to wait until I could write a proper entry than to dash off a messy one last night... hopefully it's worth the wait!

(And no, I didn't really think anyone was on the edge of their seat...but it would be nice to think someone out there missed me at least!)

October 21st 2010

We went to Woodberry to wait for Mum's bed to arrive.  But it never did.  So we had to ring Parcel Force who told us the parcel had been returned to the sender the previous day, despite them agreeing to re-deliver it.  Not only that, but even though it was quite clearly their error, they thought the seller should pay to re-send it!  And all the time the bed was rattling around in the postal system, no doubt getting more and more bashed up.

A bloke came to fix the heating (yes, David had agreed to get it fixed without having the new taps in place) but kept getting an error message for no apparent reason.  So David ended up trying to fix it himself after the bloke had gone home (!) and then announced he would have to go back and spend the night there to "check it was safe".  How nice for him.  I would have quite liked to sleep over there myself, away from the allergens of Grottsville.  But I wasn't offered the chance.

We went to Park Royal Tesco and Queensbury Morrisons on the ongoing Dolly Mix hunt, but there were only ten ponies from the first wave at Morrisons and none at all at Tesco.  We walked down the toy aisle at Tesco and all the G3.5 stuff was reduced but I still refused to support Hasbro by buying any of it!  David made a comment that Pinkie Pie's mum, who came with the family convertible, was "cute" but I just turned my nose up.  I actually really wanted that pony, but I would not buy the very set that came with that atrocious Newborn Cuties DVD!

I had terrible allergies, which didn't even clear up when we went out.  I ended up completely soaking through two pocket packs of tissues over the course of the day.  (Sorry if that's too much information, I'm just trying to explain the severity of my problems by this point!)  I was going dizzy with dehydration and actually almost fell over outside Morrisons.  David refused to believe it though and said that "there must be a dip in the road"!

I think it was made worse by the dusty MLP packaging I was trying to sort through - I'd spent most of the day looking through it and trying to cut it down, but there was no way I was going to get it all sorted out in time to hand it over to Bigmlpfan on saturday.

I'd had an awful nightmare about a gang of youths in our garden fly tipping, digging up our flowers (Ha!  What flowers?) and spray painting the lounge window the previous night and couldn't bring myself to leave the lounge again now, in case I saw them through the front door!  I had to get out of Grottsville - the fear of the unsavoury people in that area would be the death of me.

October 22nd 2010

David took us to Ealing Broadway at lunchtime - my parents needed to go to the bank so I got a chance to run (and I mean run!) to Savers and FARA while they were there.  There was nothing of much interest to note, but it was nice to get out in the fresh air for fifteen minutes.

I came home and had a nice long bath using my Lush Honeybee bath ballistic, Lush Fairy Tail sugar scrub and Body Shop Dream body lotion.  One of my best baths in a long time.  I love the Lush sugar scrubs and wish I could afford them for everyday use.  Even Mum loves the smell of the Body Shop Dreams and Love etc. ranges....and that's a first.  Usually, she hates strong perfume scents.  Her idea of a good fragrance is Branston Pickle!

Besides that, the day was a blur of preparations for the Ponycon the following day.  I looked everywhere for my Kodak camera and eventually found it...but it didn't work.  The battery had gone flat and refused to recharge.  So it seemed I would be using the old broken Pentax after all.  Oh well, probably just as well...the Kodak took pictures of a ridiculous weight that I couldn't share anyway.

I was up until well after midnight and I still didn't have everything ready.  Not good considering I had to get a very early start the next day...

October 23rd 2010

Well, I needn't have worried.  I was up at 5am - I guess the excitement ensured that I'd wake up.  But Mum, still angry that "Cinderella could go to the ball" even with her torn ticket, was determined to make me late anyway.  She refused to get up and claimed she couldn't wash or dress until it got light.  Nor could she comb my hair and as I was so scared of my hair now, that was one way of making sure David and I couldn't go without her.  (Not that we would have done, you understand, but Mum always thinks we want to "skip into the sunset together without her" for some reason!)  Anyway, she finally decreed it was light enough to wash and dress at 8am and made a point of angrily stamping to the car and throwing herself inside without even so much as combing her own hair.  And so it was that we finally left at 8.15am, Mum looking a real mess with her hair standing on end...  We didn't arrive in West Bromwich until three hours later, an hour and a quarter after the Convention had opened.  It was the latest I had ever arrived at a Ponycon and I had missed most of the ponies I would have liked to have bought, of course.  I still managed to find 11 new ponies for the herd and lots of nice merchandise though.  And it was lovely to see everyone as always.  I never get a chance to speak to everybody and I had even less time than usual, but I got to have a nice long chat with Steph (WingedElf) and Sebby.

Mum didn't come in and instead stood outside the entrance all day long looking very dishevelled and sour-faced.  She did do me a big favour by keep walking back and forth to the car and carrying up the seemingly endless bags of MLP packaging for Bigmlpfan though!

I could talk about the Ponycon all night, but you guys just want to see some pretty pictures, right?  Well, let's start with a 6-part movie, just to make you feel like you were really there (or, if you were really there, to take you back to that fantastic day in October 2010!)  I filmed "Who Dares Wins?", one of the games played at the event.  I know a few people specifically asked me to upload these and it's taken me all this time to get them on Youtube!  Sorry for making you wait so long!  If anybody featured in these videos doesn't want them available to the viewing public, just say the word and I will happily take them down again. :)

And now for some photos!  My apologies in advance for the quality of some of these... I wish I'd had a camera other than one with a smashed screen!

The stage with Meadow and Britannia either side of a balloon rainbow

Blackpool Illuminations Baby Cuddles (now painted as Baby Cotton Candy)

Restoration Contest

A Pony Tales-based entry in the Pony Scene competition - loved this!

A couple of general photos of the hall

And various stalls, including a couple of beautiful collection displays and lots of lovely sales ponies!

And this is what I brought home with me...

Freebies and souvenirs

Merchandise and accessories

Fakies and McDonalds Ponies


I was (understandably) very tired by the time we got back to Grottsville, but the day's excitement was far from over.  Somebody had dumped a large dog stuffed toy by the tree outside our house which Mum immediately fell in love with.  She wanted to bring the filthy thing indoors and a big argument followed.  Thankfully, she eventually saw sense and agreed to leave it there!

David then announced that he was going to Woodberry to "read about Wayne Rooney online".  I don't even remember what Wayne Rooney had done that was of such great excitement (please don't kill me, football doesn't hold much interest for me), but he'd already bought three different newspapers on the story!  He stayed there until 1am while we suffered at Grottsville with a gang of six thugs at the car repair shop across the road from us throwing tyres around, smashing windows and shouting abuse at one another and passers-by.  God, I hate rowdy young boys.  Especially when they are wreaking havoc only a few yards from your front door!

I watched the second episode of Friendship is Magic on Youtube.  I must admit that despite missing Janyse Jaud's voice terribly, I couldn't help but keep humming Pinkie's "No Fear Song" after hearing it...not helped by the fact that Mum also kept singing it!  Shannon Chan-Kent's singing voice doesn't sound much like Andrea Libman's speaking voice though and I am still at a loss as to why they felt the need to have two seperate people for the same character, especially considering both women are extremely talented voice actresses AND singers!  But it's not my place to argue with those in charge of casting, I guess...

October 24th 2010

We went to WHSmith to buy the Daily Mail (we were collecting the free Lego sets for my nephew), and WHSmith to buy over £50 worth of stuff in order to get 1000 Advantage Card Points.  Yes, my parents are great ones for spending money in order to "save".  Still, I wasn't complaining.  I'm the only one with a Boots card in this family, so the points went on there! ;)  I did have my eye on the Boots Smooth Skin laser hair removal system which was drastically reduced at that point, but there was no way I was going to admit to my parents that I wanted to buy a hair removal system, for goodness sake!  Hence, I ended up losing out on £50 worth of points... >.<

then onto Lakeland to buy some cedar cubes (supposed moth deterrents to put in the crates with my Beanie Babies), a small ironing board and a tin of silver polish with our money off vouchers.  When we got to the checkout, we discovered that the tin of polish had been opened so I was sent back upstairs to get a replacement.  A member of staff came and asked me what I was doing - perhaps I looked awkward, but it was so embarrassing to be standing there with an open tin of polish.  It must have looked as though I had opened it myself!  Or maybe not.  Either way I was extremely embarrassed and scarpered down the stairs as fast as my legs would carry me (which no doubt made me look even more guilty!)

It was too late to go in Home Sense by the time we got out of Lakeland and I was still too tired from the previous day to even walk across the car park to TK Maxx.  The endless sickness with my allergies was really taking its toll now.

My parents had a ridiculous argument regarding the delays at Woodberry.  Mum asked David when he seriously thought we were moving in now.  The next job was to get the taps replaced and so he snapped, "Stop doing your family history and look at taps, and THEN we can see about moving!"  Um...but Mum was the one who kept pushing to go to the bathroom shops but David refused to take her!  What did her family history have to do it?  She pointed out that she couldn't drive and didn't have a car to get to the shops which David responded, "How do half the other people who live here and don't have cars manage then?"  Without waiting for an answer he continued,  "They go to Brent Cross!"
Uh... A) How does one get to Brent Cross from Perivale without a car?  There is only one bus which takes you to either Ealing Broadway or Wembley.  B) Why would we WANT to go to Brent Cross?  There are no bathroom shops there, and that was one place he HAD taken us that day!  (Lakeland is in Brent Cross). And C) Considering we don't know anyone else who lives in Perivale, how does he know that anyone who doesn't own a car finds a way to Brent Cross?!  Stupid man.

Not sure if I should even be sharing this story, but hey, I think we can all look back and laugh at it now despite all the misery my stupidity caused at the time and in the months following.  My friend, Caroline (who had a bit of a love-hate relationship with G3 Pinkie Pie at the best of times), had posted this banner in her MLP Arena signature...

She and I had been discussing the differences between the G3 and G4 cartoons and I took it as a bit of a joke following on from that.  So I "answered" with my own banner...

I only meant it as a bit of honest fun, in light of how I felt about Pinkie being changed so drastically for the new series, but I guess there was a bit of a misunderstanding and my friend got hurt.  We didn't even talk for several months afterwards and I was so sad to think I had lost such a good friend over something so silly.  Caroline, if you're reading this, may I take this opportunity to apologise again for upsetting you...I'm hoping with the full story written out like that, you'll see I really was just trying to join in with what I thought was a really good idea/joke, rather than attacking you or making fun of your opinion.  I am so glad we're back in touch now though.  I'll respond to your message soon. *Hugs*

And...I think that's just about it for this blog entry.  I'll try and write an extra long entry tomorrow to make up for falling further behind last night.  See you then!

Best wishes,
Desirée  xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment