Tuesday, 22 January 2013

A Woman's Photograph Scanning Is Never Done!

Well, it's already gone 1am, so I'm really going to regret this when I can't keep my eyes open tomorrow morning, but I am determined to write a blog entry every day now, however short it may be...

May 8th 2011

David had another day off work.  He sat in front of his computer all day long, but didn't do anything useful with it.  He did no scanning whatsoever, he just half-heartedly rearranged some of the photos I had scanned in their folders to make himself look busy.

Meanwhile, of course, I was unable to do any scanning.  This give me more time to work on other jobs like housework and cataloguing ponies.  But Mum was cross that I wasn't doing enough.  I "needed to make more time" to do more work.  How can I make more time?!  A day is only 24 hours long and I had already cut my sleeping time down to a minimum!

David was rather shocked to discover a picture in the printer.  So was I.  I had attempted to teach myself how to use it a couple of days previously while I was doing the scanning, but didn't think I'd actually managed to print anything!  And all the while the photo must have been in the tray under the printer!  Thankfully, it was nothing private or embarrassing, just a favourite childhood photo which I have already shared on this blog, I believe.  Still, there is no harm in sharing it again, especially as I think some readers who know of more recent events in my life may find it amusing to see which photo I deemed worthy of printing...

Yep, pretty sure you've all seen this before, but if you haven't, this is Carousel, a beautiful 1950s coin operated horse ride who used to stand on Bognor Regis Pier, and a favourite memory from my childhood.  This picture was taken on July 19th 1996.  There were a LOT of vintage coin operated rides on the pier back then, but they had all mysteriously disappeared by the following summer.  If anybody remembers these rides, or better yet, has photographs of them, please, please, PLEASE comment on this blog or email me at coinoperatedrides@hotmail.com.

At dinnertime, David took us to Grottsville to eat the vegetarian lasagne we'd bought at Sainsburys.  (Mum still wouldn't let us use the oven at Woodberry due to cooking smells in the open plan kitchen/living room where she sleeps).  That area never failed to shock us with its drunken gangs on every street corner.  We noticed that the car repair shop opposite was building a high wall, presumably in an attempt to deter the drunkards who gather there and keep peeing on/littering/otherwise vandalising their property.  We also had a large pane of glass leaning up against our own wall.  I don't know who'd dumped it there but it was a little irresponsible when they know that one of the Grottsvillian drunks would just love to pick something like that up and use it as a weapon!

In contrast, when we got back to Woodberry, another neighbour decided to come up and introduce himself.  Very nice of him, right?  Well, it would have been, had he not spoken solely to David and purposefully ignored Mum and I!  Are we living in the dark ages when women were to be seen and not heard?  To add salt to the wounds, the man in question wrote one of Mum's favourite local history books.  Well, David didn't know who he was, so he didn't get any compliments out of him.  Perhaps if he had spoken to Mum, she would have flattered him by asking for his autograph!  Who'd have guessed he lives just two doors away?

Did I say I hoped that the brony hate would die down after season one of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic ended?  I think I was being a little optimistic.  Lauren Faust announced that she was leaving FiM and the internet erupted into total chaos.  "I hope Hasbro don't get their grubby mitts on MLP now!" was one particular comment that stood out to me.  Were they not aware of who actually owns MLP, and has owned the franchise since 1982?

May 9th 2011

I wanted to walk to Ealing Broadway to buy a few things in preparation for my birthday and our trip to the states.  But I was not allowed any time off of my duties at home; scanning, and cleaning and tidying the house for the most part.

Mum started the difficult job of putting the Beanie Babies in their new cabinet in the hobby room.  We knew they wouldn't all fit but I don't think any of us remembered quite how many there were!

Mum asked me to choose some of my favourites (you know, since they were my collection originally?) to go in the cabinet, and then got terribly upset when I chose others to her favourites and ended up throwing my choices back in the storage crates anyway!

Things got worse when Sickton walked past on the other side of the house.  He must have seen movement out of the corner of his eye and looked up at us, so Mum shouted at him.  I wandered over to the window and glared at him.  He continued to glare back - even looking over his shoulder to do so! - until he got back to his own house.

That night we went to McDonalds for a McFlurry (I don't remember what the current limited edition was, but it was something Mum liked which is a rarity) but they didn't have any ice cream so we had to drive to a different branch.  Then Mum got in a panic that the ice cream was getting stuck in her throat (?) so a great time was had by all really.

David's driving was getting worse and worse too, and it was frankly quite terrifying to be sitting in the back of his car.  I swear that two men and a cat were almost flattened that night!

May 10th 2011

David stayed at Woodberry watching unsavoury films on his computer until 3am before going back to Grottsville to sleep, which meant he kept me awake half the night.  This resulted in me oversleeping the following morning, and not getting up until 10am.

I didn't have time to leave the house at all, let alone go to Ealing Broadway for my pre-birthday/holiday shopping trip.  I worked hard all day long scanning photographs for Mum, but still she told me I was lazy and kept asking why I hadn't done other jobs, such as filling in a survey on Swagbucks.com (if you're not already a member, join here - it really does work unlike most of these sites.  I've earned about £200 on there so far!) and sending photographs of Redwings Horse Sanctuary adoption horse Oliver Twist to my niece.  I'm not sure why Mum even WANTED me to send the photographs of Oliver to Abigale as she was desperately trying to convince my niece NOT to choose Oliver as a replacement for Boo, since Oliver lives at the Great Yarmouth Sanctuary where we can't take Abigale for a day trip.

Speaking of my sister's family, she sent a worrying letter which said that my nephew was self harming.  Poor Allan was only nine years old at this point but already had serious depression issues.  There are too many kids in that house and, with the best will in the world, there's not enough time for them all as individuals.  I always worry about Allan and Abigale as they seem to be the worst effected depression-wise, and the fact that he was self harming at such a young age is a really distressing thought.

Mum spent most of the day dressed up in her "presentable" clothes, waiting for the latest shelving unit to be delivered.  As soon as she gave up and changed into her more comfortable indoor clothes, the delivery man rang to say he was on his way!

The stress of working non-stop every day was really getting to me.  Mum told me the mobile phone needed to be charged so I ran upstairs to charge it whilst one of the photos was still scanning.  Not liking to leave the scanner unsupervised for too long, I probably rushed a little faster than I should have done, but that was no reason to suddenly develop a blinding headache and watering eyes at the top of the stairs.  Scary...it just proves what plain old stress and tiredness can do to the human body.

May 11th 2011

Another full day spent scanning.  I was starting to sympathise with David's comment about how boring the job was!  And now I had a headache to boot.  The only thing keeping me sane was scanning my childhood coin operated kiddie ride photographs.  I'd forgotten so many of the old rides and loved puzzling over who made them and how old they were.

For instance, this duck and horse, photographed in Hemsby in 1998:

The identical bases and features in their faces tell me they were made by the same company, and from my knowledge of kiddie rides, I'd estimate they date from the 1960s, but I've no idea who made them!

David was working ridiculously long hours so that he "could have the work done before he HAD to take time off for this bl**dy holiday".  It's nice to know that he'd actually PREFER to work than have a holiday, isn't it?  Oh well, never mind, after all my hard work trying to get all of Mum's photographs scanned in time, she was threatening not to go anyway.  The main reason for this being that David hadn't kept to his side of the bargain and scanned what HE had promised to scan.  But instead of picking on him, Mum just told me that I should be scanning THAT stuff as well!

My hair had started falling out again...did this prove that the problem really WAS stress?  Then again, I was also getting severe allergies again, so perhaps that was the cause.  Either way, there was nothing I could do to stop the stress or the allergies.  My parents would continue to push me to do more than was humanly possible, and while I was being pushed to do so much, I certainly didn't have time for the day to day housework to keep the place dust-free.

My grandparents' old neighbours, Pauline and Bob, put birthday cards for David and I through the front door...most likely when I was sitting in the front room, scanning and singing (loudly) along with the cassette tapes I was indexing!  This would have been embarrassing enough, but it was even worse when you consider that we'd told Pauline and Bob that we weren't living at Woodberry yet, since the house was still in such a mess and we weren't ready for visitors.  Well, perhaps they didn't recognise my voice and just thought there was a friendly singing ghost inside the house?!

They needn't have bothered putting a card through for David anyway as Mum promptly tore it up before he even got the chance to see it.  Why?  Don't ask me, I am not inside Mum's brain...and for that, I think I should be thankful!

I went to Tesco in the evening - a dull outing, but I wouldn't have left the house at all again otherwise.  The self service checkout hated us even more than usual and screamed about "unexpected items" after each and EVERY item of shopping was placed in the bagging area!  We got some socks for Mum at long last, but she wasn't happy with them as they are only made in dark colours now and she likes pastels!

May 12th 2011

I didn't leave the house again.  Still, I guess it was a small sacrifice to make if doing all this work would ensure I got to visit North America at long last... As I say, IF it did.  I wouldn't believe in it until we were safely on the plane and my parents couldn't turn back.  Actually, take that back.  I wouldn't believe it until we were safely on the RIGHT flight back and I knew my parents hadn't cut the holiday short and got an earlier flight!

I washed my hair which is always a traumatic process.  My scalp felt so much better for it, but I lost an awful lot of hair in the process.  It was nice to have a quick soak in the bath though.

I struggled to cram all of my baby MLPs on the shelves and did a lot more scanning.  I'd forgotten so many of the old rides I've seen over the years.  I'd seen two Edwin Hall Muffin the Mules in the past eight years, and yet I had no recollection of even seeing them, much less where they were!

There was this one in June 2003...

And this one as late as September 2006!  How on Earth could I not remember that?!

To be honest, I guess I'd put my coin operated ride interest on the back burner for a  few years.  We never went to the seaside now, or had any day trips for that matter.  It had got too depressing to see how the British seaside resorts had turned into ghost towns with the amusement arcades (and my beloved kiddie rides) long gone.  Now the old ride enthusiast in my brain was coming out again.  I thought for a moment and realised that there were probably no Edwin Hall rides left out there these days.  I'd probably never get to touch one of those lovely old curved coin slots again or see the familiar smile on Muffin's face.  I didn't have time to research it now, but vowed to start looking for rides online again as soon as we got back from the US.  If there was a single Edwin Hall ride (or any other vintage British ride, for that matter) left out there, I would find it and visit it/photograph it for old time's sake.  And I would finally get my coin operated ride website put together, by hook or by crook.  These things deserved to be remembered...especially those gorgeous old rides on Bognor Pier that had all been scrapped back in 1996...

My nephew Allan sent me a friend request on Facebook.  Yes, my 9-year-old nephew.  I couldn't turn down a depressive 9-year-old, but I had to wonder why Emma was letting him get a Facebook account at such a young age...or if it was even Allan at all, considering he can't read or write very well.  Emma and Nick were no longer on my friend list due to me getting embarrassed about something I'd written and not knowing how to hide/delete it a while ago, so I wondered if this was my sister's way of getting back into my Facebook to see what I was doing...without ME being able to see her wall!  Grr...  Now I needed a 9-year-old son who could request her!

David stayed at Woodberry late again, meaning I couldn't go to bed again.  I had an orthodontist appointment early the following morning so it looked as though it would be another night with hardly any sleep whatsoever.  Still, the orthodontic work did seem to be working...according to my blog notes.  I'd argue with that looking at these photos, but I guess my teeth must have been a lot worse originally!

Ew...I hate close-up pictures of any part of my face!  But I guess the progress report is necessary!  There will be a lot worse, more detailed photos and videos on Sparkle Dental Boutique's website at some point in the future!

Well, it's almost 3am now so it looks as though I shall be having ANOTHER practically sleepless night in the present day!  And I didn't even get a week's worth of blogging done like I'd hoped.  Oh well, I guess it was better than nothing.  Tomorrow I might turn 20...wish I really was still a teenager!

Best wishes,
DesirĂ©e  xxx


  1. Dobbin is cute! As for Muffin, as much as I want her as well, I gotta face the fact that I only have room for two rides, and the other ride must be a MLP :P

    1. Ha ha, I'll get you into the vintage rides yet! :P

      Dobbin was a real favourite of mine (though not as much as Carousel...probably because Hemsby is a lot further away from us than Bognor and we only ever went there once). I love all of these old horse rides. :)

      Thanks for your comment - it's nice to know someone still reads my blogs! ;)