Saturday, 17 January 2015

Eat The Meekington, Huh?

I see that somebody is mocking my mum's eBay account on Facebook now.  Very funny, guys...not.  I'm just surprised that you have nothing better to do with your time.

October 26th 2011

Another exciting day spent locked inside these four walls.  It rained all day and Mum didn't fancy walking through it.  (Apparently it still hadn't occurred to me at this point that I wouldn't drop dead if I went for a walk on my own!)  David did offer me the chance of a wonderful trip to Tesco that night but I was feeling too self conscious about my hair again.

Ah yes, my hair.  I refused to spray it with dry hair shampoo for fear that it might make it worse, but the greasier it got, the more I lost.  For goodness sake, just wash it!

I was bitterly cold and kept putting it down to the fact that I'd lost so much hair and didn't have enough to keep my back warm any more (!), especially as Mum kept saying how hot she was.  She was being nasty to me about wigs and hair pieces again, right at a time when I feared I was going to have to get one.  I wasn't even supposed to mention the dreaded subject.  "Even the word 'wig' sounds ugly," Mum said.  "You can't go out in the wind in a wig, and they all look FAKE."  Nice.

Some kind soul hacked my Twitter account and sent very personal rude virus-ridden emails to my followers.  Looking back, I wonder who could possibly have been behind that?

I sold fifteen things on eBay while Mum only sold two, prompting another lot of jealous ranting from her about how unfair it was.  Well, she had a lot less items listed in the first place.  One of her items had only sold for £5.75, while somebody else had the same item on there currently at £18.50 so she was upset.  I don't know why hers sold so cheaply...maybe because she was relatively new to eBay and didn't have much feedback compared to the other person?

I was so depressed that I couldn't even be bothered with watching the fireworks from my bedroom window that evening.  Apparently that meant a very depressed Desirée in those days.  Nowadays, I don't even think about looking unless it's Bonfire Night or New Year's Eve.  Does that mean I'm even more depressed...or I just grew up in the last three years?!

October 27th 2011

The hair loss stress continued to get me down.  I didn't even want to get out of bed, much less go out into the real world.

We did eventually go to Ealing Broadway at lunch time to buy Christmas gifts for my nephews and nieces.  I kept the hood of my coat up the entire time that we were out though, and was convinced that people were looking at me.  Well, they were probably looking at me wondering why I had my hood up when it wasn't raining!

David had to go to the bank and asked what shops we were going to and where he should meet us.  I was so distressed that I couldn't think where I wanted to go on the spot, so Mum siezed the opportunity to be nasty to me again.  "She doesn't want to go anywhere.  All she wants to do is cry."  For the record, I wasn't crying.  But I felt like it by the time she'd finished humiliating me!

When we got home, we ate ice cream and strawberry trifle before packing up the eBay parcels.  We had no dinner because it got too late after Ealing Broadway and waiting for our "dessert" to go down!  So we ended up at McDonalds that evening for fries and a Caramel McFlurry.

I suddenly became aware of just how fat I was getting.  No wonder I was finding it hard to move around and got so tired whenever I did so!  I needed more exercise and to eat less junk food, but that lifestyle seemed impossible while I was living with my parents.

I washed my old My Beautiful Horses playsets but there was no way to get all of the dust off of them after all these years.  With my dust allergies in mind, I considered selling them off along with the duplicate horses, but I couldn't bear to get rid of the stable that I remembered my grandad so proudly giving me one Christmas after he had searched high and low for it!

We went to Grottsville late that night to collect another box of ponies, and I was distraught to see that the permanent marker on one of them had rubbed off onto the ponies that had been touching her in the box.  This is why I don't believe in keeping things that you have nowhere to display.  The longer something is kept in storage, the more damage it seems to sustain.

October 28th 2011

I went to Ealing Hospital to see a dermatologist about my hair loss.  The stupid woman was no use whatsoever.  She couldn't see my scalp through all the "dandruff" (apparently she had never seen dry hair shampoo before!), had not been forwarded the blood test results from my doctor (so I had to wait 40 minutes and endure another test - great for a hemophobic like myself!), and agreed with Mum that a wig would "look ugly and be very expensive" (very kind if I did end up losing all my hair and having no choice other than to wear one!)

Mum yelled at me all through my dinner (she refused to eat any as she had worked herself up into a bad temper for reasons best known to herself) about how I mustn't bring any more ponies from Grottsville until all of the My Beautiful Horses had been washed - still don't see the connection, to be honest - and about how I "wouldn't be emigrating for a very long time".  She also decided to pick on me about wigs again.  If I didn't like being stared at, then I didn't want a wig.  "Oh, you'll get plenty of stares in a wig..."

By the evening, I was in a terribly state and (ironically) ended up on the floor in the family history room with Mum just because I wanted the comfort of being near to another human being.  Sad that the very person who'd worked me up into such a state was the only person I had to turn to really.

October 29th 2011

David got up late and spent the day in an utterly fowl mood.  We went to Grottsville to post the eBay stuff and weigh Mum's board games with an eye to selling them on eBay.  I was still not feeling very well and had a funny turn coming down the stairs with all the heavy boxes.  David didn't see it that way though and shouted at me when he got back from the post office.  "Haven't you done ANYTHING while I was down the road?"  I'm not quite sure what I was supposed to have done now that Mum had banned me from bringing anything else back to Woodberry, but even if I'd known what to do, I wasn't in any state for hard work.

He was angry with me for spending my few minutes near a television trying to catch the MLP adverts.  I managed to get a Princess Celestia one on tape so at least my efforts weren't completely in vain!

After that, we went to an electrical shop in Harrow to look at lighting.  David claimed that the shop was "too busy to ask any questions" though and that Mum "wasn't in the right mood for it anyway".  Why did he even take us there if he had no intention of getting anything done?

Then to the storage depot to collect the Christmas gifts so that they could be sorted out and wrapped up.  There was a spider hanging from the ceiling and I gently blew on it, hoping to make it climb up and out of David's way before he saw it.  (David is scared of spiders)  But it just dropped down on top of the box of Christmas gifts.  You can imagine his reaction!

Finally to McDonalds for yet more fries and Caramel McFlurries.  No wonder I was putting on weight!

My parents argued practically all day until I was in tears again.  If stress played a part in my hair loss, I would be completely bald in no time!

October 30th 2011

Didn't leave the house again.  I was sick of being indoors.  I had even risked lightly spraying my hair the night before!  If my hair continued to get worse, I wouldn't be going out at all for much longer so I didn't want to waste these days.

The hour went back, so we hoped that David might get up an hour earlier and actually get something done.  Instead, he spent the extra hour in the bathroom.  He did do some gardening, but then went straight back in the loo before going out alone at dinnertime.

I helped Mum to list some more eBay stuff, and she was pleasantly surprised when watchers began appearing on one of her old games.  She'd originally listed it at £5, but got me to raise the price to £10, and then £25, as the watchers increased...

I won some MLP comics that had been auctioned on the Arena.  I don't know where I got all my money from back then!

Mum was getting on my nerves.  She couldn't seem to understand my need for education and would instead laugh it off.  (That or she pretended not to understand because she wanted me tied down in this house forever...)  When I said something about needing a direction in life, she rudely commented, "Need a direction?  I'll give you some signs!  Left, right, round the bl**dy bend..."  Apparently I didn't need good education or a real job because her cousin Paul had "done all right for himself" by selling books from home.  Well, that might be all right for Paul.  But I wanted to get out into the real world.  I wanted to meet people!  I couldn't stand being trapped with no social interaction for much longer!

October 31st 2011

Mum and I walked to Lammas Park.  We decided to bring some leaves back and try to identify the trees.  (Sadly, I must admit that my knowledge in flora is lacking!)  We identified some of the trees in the park as London Planes.  If we could just teach ourselves about one tree species each time we walked there, we'd soon be experts.  Okay, maybe not experts, but at least we'd be more knowledgeable than we were before.

Mum's game now had 12 watchers.  Far from being pleased that there was interest, she began fretting that the price was too low.  *Sighs*  Some people are never happy!

I washed some more My Beautiful Horses and began recalling more happy memories of my grandad and how he searched everywhere for individual horses to help me complete my set.  I remembered a specific case of a horse named Romany who he had travelled everywhere to look for.  Eventually he found it in a little toy shop on the other side of London.  That would have been sweet enough in itself even if you didn't know that my grandad was crippled with Rheumatoid Arthritis at the time and found it near impossible to get on and off of public transport.  I will never forget the little things he did for all of us when I was young.

We were pestered all evening by trick or treaters.  They really set my already frayed nerves on edge, especially when fireworks kept going off in the local area.  I thought they were "tricking" us for not going to the door!

I've also noted that a "RG Mitchell Stingray ride" was listed on eBay.  Considering such a ride doesn't even exist and I no longer have the photographs of the rides that were listed around that time, I can't begin to hazard a guess at what I was talking about!  Apparently I thought I was more knowledgeable in the kiddie ride subject back then than I really was!

Oh, and remember those useless workmen I spoke about a couple of entries ago?  One of the jobs they did apart from the terrible wallpapering was to hang a towel rail on the shower room wall.  A few days later, this is how it looked:

See, I wasn't kidding when I said they were awful at their job!  Where do you find decent workmen in this day and age?

Best wishes,
Desirée  xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment